Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Podcast NYC: Pop Culture Rant #31

I'm baaaaaack! With lots to say and plenty of time to say it. It's a stripped down, no nonsense PCR. Forty five minutes chock full of rants on Rafael Palmeiro, aka Mr. Juice. It's not just about steroids, it's about vanity that's destroying our culture. More rants about TV and the entertainment industry. Even as reality shows galore fail, the networks and mainstream entertainment outlets still pump the same crap down our throats. And a story about a real nasty confrontation with a neighbor at my condo complex.

SHOW NOTES
  • Intro
  • Rafael Palmeiro's positive steroid test and subsequent denial
  • The collapsing world of mainstream entertainment
  • One crazy woman with a really big dog and a chest shaven, tattooed boyfriend/fiancee/whatever
  • Sign Off

5 comments:

PodcastNYC.net said...

I'm down to a couple of hours of TV a week, mostly on Sunday nights and some sports on Saturday. I've been with Netflix for almost six years and while my movie watching has increased, my attendance at the theater has dropped considerably.

I think these are general trends that will start to put pressure on the movie theatre chains and major networks to change things. Of course, it will still take them a couple of years to figure out the situation before anything meaningful gets done.

Anonymous said...

Only recently started tuning into your podcast. I'm hooked. I hate major network TV, haven't seen a decent film in ages, love Rescue Me and well-behaved dogs, hate clueless dog owners, have never been/will never be tattooed or botoxed or lifted/augmented. I am disappointed in the iTunes setup for podcasting so have gone solo w/Newsfire. Love your rants, and wish there were more coherent ones like it out there - but perhaps there are. Just haven't found one I look forward to as much as this one. Keep 'em coming.

PodcastNYC.net said...

Carol,

Welcome to the rants. I'll have to check out newsfire.

Rob

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I can't believe that I actually exist in a landscape that produces trash like Stealth, The Island, reality TV, and the gutter known as mainstream radio. I'm not even sure when all this began, but dear god, someone stop it. These forms of entertainment have completely driven me away -- I find my entertainment online - podcast, mp3s, and researching new thing to do in the real world.

PodcastNYC.net said...

All indications show that many more people are starting to feel the same way. As alternative forms of media like podcasts and videoblogs continue to grow, at least people will have more choices to see or hear something that wasn't approved by the same people who've brought us media for the last 30 years.