Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Podcast NYC: Pop Culture Rant #22

This week we have an extended version of the PCR. I request apologies for my use of the "C" word during the last PCR as I can't lose my only German listeners. Comments on the recent Dave Chappelle meltdown. Star Wars overkill is killing me. Doctors are pissing me off again. Why do they insist on taking us backwards in the treatment of pregnant women? And my new entertainment center experience has been less than delightful. Damn, I'm back to two remote controls again! As a bonus, my brother (the newspaper guy) joins me via Skype to discuss the latest Newsweek debacle involving (apparently false) allegations about the desecration of the Quran at Guantanamo Bay.

SHOW NOTES
  • Intro (0:00)
  • "C" Word apologies (0:50)
  • Dave Chapelle goes to South Africa (3:51)
  • Star Wars madness (7:15)
  • What's wrong with doctors? (9:22)
  • Entertainment center odyssey(15:38)
  • Skype shootout on the Newsweek Quran story debacle (19:22)
  • Sign Off (50:22)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here in Canada, it seems the health care system is in a bit of a mess too, sad considering we as taxpayers pay for it. So believe me, I'm not laughing about the US system being FUBAR. A few years ago here in Toronto, if I remember correctly, we had two or three occasions close together where people were dying in the backs of ambulances because emergency rooms would be full or closed, and the drivers would have to go to another hospital. By then it would be too late. Talk about FUBAR.

PodcastNYC.net said...

Unfortunately, it looks like we're all kind of screwed here. What's the answer? There are many systems around the world and all of them have their flaws. It helps to be well informed. By the time you get the information you need (and find a doctor that you can work with) you've probably had a few bad experiences already.

PodcastNYC.net said...

I've decided to delete the last three comments. One comment was from a Hungarian listener, one was from a German listener (both posted anonyomously) and one was from myself.

The reason that I deleted them was that the exchange of comments got rougher than I'd like it to be on this board. I prefer not to have words on this site that refer to people's race or religion, even if they're used only as an example of something.

I'll paraphrase the exchange out of respect for all parties involved.

The Hungarian listener commented that the German commenter from PCR #21 should lighten up about my use of certain words. I replied "Right On." with tongue firmly place in cheek. The German listener replied, indicating that they had the right to express and opinion on my content without being ridiculed for it.

Everyone's got a point, and they have a right to make their point on the comments. But please, keep it (relatively) civil.

Thanks for listening.

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean to ridicule anybody about their sensetive listening habits. I just don't want Podcasters to choose their language as carefully as Radio broadcasters. After all, this is supposed to be different in content and style. Honestly, we all use this kind of language once in a while. And when the topic requires it, use it.

PodcastNYC.net said...

I hear where you're coming from. The other listener was obviously upset at the way I commented in the rant and felt very strong about that. The way you commented seemed to inflame that upset. I might have said something very similar so I can't really fault either of you.

You're both passionate about your opinions on the topic, much like I am as well. I have to act as sort of a referee sometimes to manage how things go on the board. In this case I decided to call it a draw, but I still appreciate the open commentary.

Thanks for listening.